I. You should
be able to identify and state the historical significance of the following:
Clement L. Vallandigham
John Wilkes Booth
Robert E. Lee
Thomas J. Jackson
Ulysses S. Grant
George B. McClellan
William T. Sherman
George P. Meade
Salmon P. Chase
II. You should be
able to describe and state the historical significance of the following:
Doctrine of ultimate destination/continuous voyage.
First Battle of Bull Run
Battle of Antietam
- Compare the advantages of the South and the North in the Civil War.
- Explain the difficulty Lincoln had in finding a good general to lead the
Union Army, describing the weaknesses and strengths of the various ones he
- Why did President Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation? What
were its effects?
- What role did diplomacy play in the Civil War? Why did the South
expect it to bring an advantage to them? Why was their expectation not
- Compare the political problems and leadership of the Union with those of
the Confederacy during the War years.
- Which of the following do you think was the most significant battle of the
Civil War: Antietam, Gettysburg, Vicksburg. Why?
- Explain the economic, military, and diplomatic results of the Union
victory and Confederate defeat in the Civil War. What do you think was
the main reason that the South lost? Explain your choice.
- Historians usually rank the "Great Emancipator," Abraham
Lincoln, as the "greatest" of American presidents. Do you
agree? Why or why not?
- Assess the role of blacks, free and slave, in both North and South, in the
Civil War. Did they in any way affect the outcome? If so, how?
- The Civil War has also been called the "War between the States,"
and the "War for Southern Independence." Which of the three
titles do you find most apt? Why?
- Explain why General Sherman conducted the devastating "march to the
sea." Explain in what ways this was like conducting modern
- The American Pageant calls the Emancipation Proclamation a
"proclamation without emancipation>" Why? Explain
the role of the proclamation in the formulation of Northern Strategy and war
- American Pageant contend that "the removal of Lincoln [as
president in 1864] was the last real hope for a Confederate victory.
Do you agree? Why or why not?
- List the three most significant immediate consequences of the Civil
War. Justify your selection and indicate which one consequence you
think was the most important and why?
- Did the Civil War slow the United States Industrial Revolution, or did it
help usher in modern America?
IV. Bailey's online practice
quiz may help you.